I am crazy about Japanese cheesecake. My ideal ones are the ones from Jusco. This one is my mom's friend recipe and to me it tastes close to jusco's cheesecake. You can use any medium or hard cheese like cheddar ,edam,gouda,parmesan, emmental but not blue cheese or salty goat cheese.
3 cups of boiling water
125g cream cheese or shredded cheese or a mixture of both
1/4 cup cream
2 1/2 tbsp margarine
3 tbsp sugar
3 egg yolks
2 1/2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
2 tsp lemon juice
1tsp grated lemon zest
a few drops vanilla essence
3 egg whites
3 tbsp sugar
1) Heat the oven to 250 C (482F) and put a pan inside it and add 3 cups of water
2) If using grated cheese, heat it with milk first and add the rest of ingredients B. Mix well
3) As for ingredients C: Beat egg whites till foamy and add the sugar. If you can whisk until soft peak. Beat for 10 minutes. Do not worry if it won't peak.
4) Put in a pan and place it on top of the hot water in the oven (This is called bain marie style). Baking it this way makes the cake moist. Lower the temperature of the oven to 150 C (302 F). Bake for 40 minutes.
5) Leave in the oven for 10 minutes and outside covered for 48 hours. This is VERY Necessary for the cake to taste like Jusco's cheesecake!