This recipe is a healthy version of mamoul (makmoul, معمول) or Makrout /مقروط . Date cookies are very popular in Arab countries especially in Ramadan. I will try to make vegan version of this cookies in the future insha Allah.
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cups whole wheat flour
a pinch star anise powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup organic olive oil
1/4 cup cooking oil
white egg (optional)
1/4 cups milk
1 cup of stoned dates
2 tbsp orange flower water
1) Heat the oven to 180 C (356 F). Oil baking pan.
2) Mix the fillings well into a paste
3) For the dough: Mix dry ingredients well. Then add in the wet ingredients.
4) Do not overknead. Divide into 2 dough
5) Roll into 2 thin layers
6) Place the date paste on one layer and top it with another layer of dough.
7) Cut into square or diamond shape.
8) Bake in 250 C (482 F) for 15 minutes or until light brown. Do not allow the cookies to sit for too long in the oven as this cookies is very low in fat.
You might also like: